Mon-Thu: 9am-6pm | Fri: 9am-5pm EST
How to Book
Hot Deals
First Time Cruisers
Group Cruises
Luxury Cruises
Value Added Offers
Port Directions
Port Search
Choosing The Best Cabin
What's Included?
Travel Insurance
Shore Tours
Contact Us
Passport Requirements
Azamara Cruises
Carnival Cruise Lines
Celebrity Cruises
Cunard Cruises
Crystal Cruises
Disney Cruise Line
Holland America Line
Norwegian Cruise Line
Oceania Cruises
Princess Cruises
Regent Seven Seas
Royal Caribbean
Seabourn Cruise Line
Sea Dream Yacht Club
SilverSea Cruises
Windstar Cruises
View All Cruise Lines
Past Cruisers
Groups of 8+ Cabins
Cruises to Nowhere
3, 4, 5 day cruises
6 - 9 day cruises
10 day or longer cruises
Home > Common Questions
Email This Page Print Page
Passport Requirements
Current passport requirements as of Thursday April 09, 2020
ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Securityís website.

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driverís license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.


  • U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.
  • The Passport Card: Passport card applications are currently being accepted in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. The passport card it will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.
  • WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:
    • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
    • State Issued Enhanced Driverís License (when available)
    • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
    • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
    • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
    • Form I-872 American Indian Card


US Citizens traveling to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, Canada or Alaska must present proof of citizenship in the form of:

  • A valid passport (recommended)
  • Original birth certificate or state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate with Picture ID, or Original Naturalization papers
  • In addition to these requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID
US Citizens traveling internationally or to Hawaii
  • A valid passport is required.
  • Some countries may require the purchase of a Visa. Your cruise specialist will indicate which countries will require this prior to your departure.

Non US-Citizens traveling to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, Canada or Alaska must present proof of citizenship in the form of:

  • U.S. Resident Aliens need a valid Alien Resident Card.
  • Canadian citizens must present a valid passport, original birth certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate.
  • Non-US. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, non-expired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable.
  • For sailings calling on Canadian ports-of-call, certain foreign nationals must obtain a Canadian Visa, in addition to the multiple-entry Visa.
  • Non-US. citizens must contact the appropriate consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigrations office to inquire about necessary travel documentation.
  • All non-US. citizens and U.S. Resident Aliens must surrender their passport and/or green cards at the time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection.
  • In addition to these requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID
Non-US Citizens traveling internationally or to Hawaii
  • A valid passport from your Country of Origin is required.
  • Some countries may require the purchase of a Visa. It is your responsibility to check with Embassy of your country or the country you are visiting with regards to Visa requirements.
It is important that guest names on travel documents (Alien Resident Cards, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver's license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.


The Canadian government requires foreign citizens from most countries other than the U.S. to obtain a visa for entry into Canada. This law affects travelers on all cruise itineraries that begin or end in Canada, as well as those that make a port of call in Canada. Failure to present the required visa will result in denied boarding with no refund. To learn if Canada requires a visa for citizens of your country please call your embassy or consulate.

Check back at our website regularly prior to your cruise for the most current updates.

 Departure Port:
 Date: # Days
 Sort By:
Exclusive Offers Only:
Is Any Passenger:
 55 yrs +
Advanced Cruise Search
Port Search
(800) 834-4338
Mon-Thu: 9am to 6pm EST
Friday: 9am to 5pm EST
24-Hour Online Booking
Terms and Conditions: All rates are per person, double occupancy and include port charges. Government taxes and fuel surcharges are additional. Limited Availability and based on minimum fares for select departure dates. Other dates may be higher. *Air-inclusive rates are from select gateways and do not include September 11th Security Fee up to $10; PFC's up to $18; segment fees up to $3 per flight segment; or applicable U.S departure taxes up to $85. Foreign Departure Taxes up to $45 may also apply and are payable to the Foreign Government Authority. Other air gateways may be higher. These rates are for new, individual bookings only. Not responsible for last minute changes of price or itinerary by cruise line, or any errors or omissions in the content of this ad. Some restrictions and cancellation penalties may apply.
(800) 834-4338
Home | Destinations | Clearance Center | Cruise Lines | Advanced Cruise Search | Free Quote | FAQ's | Contact